Thursday 12 July 2007

On The Road (again)...

Hello,

well Greg's feet have finally recovered enough for us to get walking again and so it is once again time for us to hit the road. We both were truly surprised that a blister (albeit a massive one with apparent ambitions to take-over most of Greg's leg) could ground us for 17 days. We have had beaucoup des fun in Nantes but it is definitely time to be more like pilgrims and less like tourists. I have updated a few new photos though they really don't do Nantes justice - I just have a great resistance to confirming my out-of-town status by walking around everywhere taking photos shouting loudly "geez, ain't that cute. They just got so much history here..." in my bright orange, day-glow waterproof.

In truth, I don't feel overly inspired to write too much at the mo but for the sake of tradition I will jot-down a few random thoughts:

- I propose that the French are happier than the English. Difficult to prove but they just seem of a generally more sunny disposition. The women in particular often greet people with beautifully sincere smiles.

- The French seem to have a very different concept of time to the English. Quite simply, they don't act as if "time is money". This, as you might imagine, can be both a good and a bad thing, depending on what it is you seek. I have really noticed that once I have bought a coffee and sat for half-an-hour people-watching, I have an in-built sense that either I should buy something else or leave my chair to allow another paying customer to use it. This appears a totally alien concept in the French psyche. They appear to think nothing of purchasing a 1 euro drink and then sitting with their friends, chatting lazily for the entire afternoon. I like this. I suspect my mind-set has been conditioned by the pervasiveness of capitalist culture in the UK where all transactions (social as much as commerce) are based on someone, somewhere making money. On the less positive side, the French could do with improving their customer service ethos. Being in some french establishments (Tabac's, Pensions, Restaurants) you can almost read the proprietor's thoughts "If only it weren't for those demanding customers, I would have a great business".

- The French favour the taking of medication as suppositories. Mmm.

- I saw a very elegantly dressed woman carrying a tiny dog in a very expensive looking hand-bag. I am not known for my strong beliefs on animal welfare but I do not think dogs should be forced to suffer the indignity of living in a woman's handbag. Even if she is rich. Or sophisticated. I suspect that poor dog's mates laugh at him. A lot.

- I think it should be made illegal to have Irish bars in any place but Ireland. Otherwise, people like me that should know better, end-up in them. Drinking Guinness and talking with ex-pats while in France, is not how I want my life to be. It makes me sad.

- I'm still itching.

Well, I've got a rucksack to put-on...

No comments: