Wednesday 10 October 2007

A Revolutionary Evolutionary Idea

Hey,

I write this, the final entry on this particular blog, from the comfort of my computer desk in my flat in London. On Saturday 29th September at about 11 am Greg and I reached our goal of walking from Westminster Cathedral, London to the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela, Spain. We managed to walk every step of the approximate 2000 kms and finally got to attend the special Pilgrims' mass in Santiago's famous Cathedral. It truly was a magical feeling reaching the Pilgrimage city having dreamt of this moment for over four months. There is so much I could write about the final day but I think I will instead leave you with some profound words I uttered to Greg upon completing our epic journey: "I told you it was a long way". Powerful stuff, I know, and something for us all to think about...

It is not too late to Sponsor me via donating money to Mental Fight Club and a massive thank you to those that already have.

Excuse me for repeating the details:

Some of you will know that I have been involved with an inspirational poetry group for several years now and it is this group I would like to raise some funds. The group is called "Mental Fight Club" - and their purpose is aptly summarised on their website:"Mental Fight Club has around 500 members, around half of whom have direct experience of mental illness either as sufferers or carers. Our aim is to hold creative events which explore some aspect of mental illness or well-being through any human discipline – the arts, science, philosophy, sport, religion".Check their website if you'd like to know more:

http://uk.geocities.com/gabrielejenkinson@btinternet.com/home.html

I am good friends with Sarah Wheeler, the founder and leader of Mental Fight Club and can only assure you that any money raised will be very well spent. Any money given will be very gratefully received but if you were to sponsor me 1p per kilometre that would be the princely sum of £20! The easiest way to get money to this organisation is to write a cheque made out to:

"Mental Fight Club"
c/o 21 Douglas Buildings,
Marshalsea Rd.,
London,SE1 1EJ.

Enough of the appeal already.

I would highly recommend checking our favourite 200 photos of the Pilgrimage by clicking the "Our Photos" link.

It has been a real pleasure writing this blog and thank you for your encouragement and tolerance at my attempts to give just a few highlights of this Pilgrim's random thoughts. Writing this blog often allowed me to feel like I was communicating with you, my friends and family, directly and it is a process I plan to engage in more of, in the future. It feels a bit strange writing on this blog now that I have finished the Pilgrimage and so I will keep this entry short. But it wouldn't be right if I didn't attempt to share just a few random thoughts with you for the final time:

- About 10 kms from Santiago we passed through a town called "Lavacolla". This name literally means "washing one's loins" and describes the medieval Pilgrims' pre-arrival ablutions. Fortunately for the inhabitants of Lavacolla, Greg and I had already showered and were both satisfied with our general state of hygiene, so we merely stopped for a hot chocolate and not to wash our bits.

- Greg and I started to make a list of all those people that had meant something to us on our way to Santiago. We originally planned to publish the list on our respective blogs. However, we both tended to remember people via colourful descriptions such as "Circus freaks of Lucon" and "Sweaty restaurant owner" and so I have omitted my list as I thought it more likely to insult than inspire.

- Several of you have asked whether we did in fact walk EVERY SINGLE STEP and also if we managed to avoid alcohol, caffeine (and Nicotine for Greg - I don't smoke). Yes, we did walk every kilometre of those (approximate) 2000 kms and yes we abstained from our poisons for over 7 weeks. More impressive to me is that as well as all this we remain very close friends. Greg, thanks so much for putting up with all that is me and it was a real honour to participate on such a magical journey with you. For the record, Greg "you are quite a nice fellow". Again, moving stuff.

- Evolution. On one balmy afternoon, Greg and I discussed Darwin and evolution. At one stage we marvelled at how a Zebra has stripes to make it more difficult for pursuing prey (such as a lion) to focus on it clearly and therefore allow it to have a better chance of survival. Apparently, the stripes confuse the prey. We both made appropriate noises at how "marvellous nature is" and that it is amazingly sophisticated. But then we got to thinking. You know what, if one of us were a Zebra you would might be forgiven for thinking: "I love the confusing stripes idea and everything and I don't want to appear ungrateful, but let's face-it, the stripes are not a total solution (lost a few mates to lions and that) and rather than spending all this evolutionary time on the stripes, couldn't I have something more effective, such as a poisonous snake for a tail or maybe just a metal arse." I wish Darwin were around to discuss our ideas.

- Well that's about all I have to write. This Pilgrimage truly has been a life inspiring journey for me and I hope that I can keep at least some of "The Pilgrim Glow" for the rest of my stay on this beautiful planet. I really do feel grateful to be allowed to wander this awe-inspiring globe, and from now on, hope to be the best possible guest I can be...

1 comment:

Mark said...

Congratulations, Greg and Seth. May you stay pilgrims. I owe you £20 for the mf club which I'll give you when I see you.